What is Reiki?
Reiki is a a Japanese style of alternative healing, with roots believed to be in Tibetan healing techniques, thousands of years ago. Dr. Mikao Usui re-discovered the base of the system in the late 1880's, and after which Dr. Usui spent many years researching and learning about spiritual and healing techniques of the world, such as metaphysical sounds and symbols. Dr. Usui experienced a great metaphysical "awakening", and became the first to be "attuned" to the special sounds and symbols. He used this special technique to heal many people, and taught this technique he named "Reiki", to many people throughout Japan.
"Reiki", roughly translated, means "universal life force". Reiki energy is considered to be a type of life force at its highest, purest vibrational frequency. It is believed that this energy, Ki (Or Qi, Prana, Mana, etc) exists in all living things, and can be channeled into inanimate objects as well. Reiki practitioners are attuned "channels" for this universal energy, and can channel the Reiki to others, allowing the energies to clear blockages within a person's own energy centers (chakras), loosen emotional issues, and balance a person's body, mind, and spirit for the greater good of the person. With this balance, recievers of Reiki treatments experience pain relief, quicker healing of injury, greater clarity and focus, the healing of emotional scars, renewed attitudes, and other positive effects.
Reiki healing sessions are actually guided by the *client*, not the practitioner ("Reiki ka"). Although the The client's own body, subconscious and spiritual body is what guides the Reiki.....The energy is channeled in many subtle "energy layers" and vibrations, and the client himself/herself takes in exactly what is needed and goes where it is needed.
There are many styles of Reiki, all of which are good and effective. All Reiki practitioners will work with you to help you along you path to well being and healing. Here at Seika Healing Arts, Restita's method of Reiki is "Usui Shiki Ryoho", which is the method that came to the United States through the Usui--Takata lineage.
What is Kisig Galing?
Kisig Galing is a traditional Filipino method of energy healing. Kisig Galing, translated, means "kisig: (bio)Energy and "galing": to heal, healing. The techniques are very similar to Reiki, however some practitioners use their own "Kisig" instead of the Universal energy.....this may tire out the healer faster than those that act as "channels" to the infinite source of life force. With this, some Kisig Galing practitioners employ Reiki-like techniques to combine the Universal Source energy with their own, or use the Universal Energy entirely. Spiritual counseling are also sometimes offered by Kisig Galing healers.
At Seika Healing Arts, Restita uses a combination of traditional relaxation/pain relief methods, "oracion" (statements or prayers of intention) and traditional energy scanning methods and blends it with her Reiki sessions if intuitively drawn to do so.
I've never had a Reiki treatment before. What will I expect at a session?
Reiki is an extremely relaxing and soothing experience. If it is your first time receiving a Reiki treatment, please arrive 10 to 15 minutes early to check in and fill out an intake form. The intake form will give Restita the necessary information to customize your session. Restita will briefly discuss your ailments or concerns with you and answer any questions you might have. In general, here are some points about Reiki treatments:
- Your initial consultation and first session will take anywhere between 60 minutes to 90 minutes, depending on your consultation conversation. Please allow ample time for your initial consultation and session.
- Please refrain from drinking alcohol before your session. You'll remain fully clothed, although you'll be asked to remove shoes and jewelry, loosen belts and ties for your comfort. The session might start on a comfortable chair and then move to the table, or it may be conducted entirely on the chair or table, depending on what Restita feels might be necessary.
- The room may have relaxing music, candlelight or gentle fragrances to make your session more relaxing. For those who are sensitive to fragrances or prefer silence, please notify Restita at least one day in advance.
- Restita will place her hands on gently on or slightly above your body at several Reiki hand positions facilitate the flow of energy through the body. If you have a specific concern or pain, Restita can work on those areas as well. Restita makes every effort to place hands with utmost respect and to not violate privacy. In your intake form, you'll be given a diagram of the hand positions and given the opportunity to indicate which positions you feel uncomfortable with. Restita will never place hands on private areas and will modify hand placements to be respectful to any issues with touch that you might have.
- You may converse with Reiki practitioners or remain silent at your leisure. Feel free to ask for anything that can make you more comfortable, such as a blanket if you feel chilled, asking to pause the treatment for a drink of water, requesting to change to a more comfortable position, or even changing the music or lighting. You, the client, is always the guide for the session.
- Restita may use crystals or tuning forks during your session, if she feels guided to do so. She will let you know about the placing of crystals on or near your body, or let you know of sounds you may hear if she activates tuning forks.
- Remember, you're the guide of the session. The Reiki flows where it is needed most or where you guide it. If anything changes about your condition or pain areas, let Restita know.....each session is for your greater good.
- After the session, you will be given time to come back to full awareness, or gently awakened if sleeping. You'll be offered water and maybe a small snack such as fruit slices to help ground you and alleviate thirst or hunger. You may discuss you session with Restita at this time if you wish
Will I feel anything during a Reiki session?
Everyone "feels" Reiki differently, as we are all unique individuals and each session is customized for you for that particular session. Some may feel nothing at all except feeling deeply relaxed or feel more clarity of mind. Some might feel tingling, hot or cold sensations, or a feeling of energy coursing through the body. Some people may see colors, sense odors, or have pictures pop up in their minds. And, some may just fall asleep. If sensations do happen, they are all normal occurrences, and are natural indicators that energy blockages are being cleared and energy is flowing to where it is needed most. If you fall asleep, that's fine...the Reiki will still flow to where it is needed. The Reiki session itself will not cause pain or discomfort, but if you happen to be uncomfortable on the Reiki table or chair, be sure to let Restita know so she can arrange for a more comfortable position for you.
Is there anything I should do after my appointment? How many appointments should I schedule?
After your session, you need not do anything special, however Restita suggests that you drink lots of water for the next few days to help flush out your system after a full energy session. Go about your daily routine as normal, as Reiki may continue to flow and heal for another day or two. During that time, some people might find that their dreams seem more vivid, feel that they have a greater sense of clarity of mind, or experience random emotions or senstation. This is all very normal, but if you have questions or concerns, don't hesitate to contact Restita.
It is suggested that a total of 3 or 4 Reiki sessions be booked so that you get the maximum benefits toward your healing, however each client is different and may need more or less treatments....it is ultimately your decision as to how many sessions you'd like. Many Reiki clients like to get monthly "tune-ups" (Restita calls them "Reiki Boosts") after a 3 or 4 session series, to keep their energy flowing and unblocked, or to address slight changes in their emotional, physical or spiritual states.
Restita will check in with you a day or two after eac session via email, to see how you're doing. You may discuss any changes or shifts you've felt, or address other questions and concerns at that time.
Can children get appointments?
Of course! Children tend to be very open to Reiki and can even learn Reiki fundamental concepts just as adults do. If you'd like your child to have a Reiki session, you must book the session yourself and you must accompany your child and be in the room while the session is happening. You may talk to your child and Restita during the session.
I have my pet with me....Can I bring my dog or cat during a session?
Of course! If you bring your pet to your own session, please have your pet use the bathroom outside before your session. If you have a blanket that your pet likes to lay on, feel free to bring that as well. Restita will usually treat your pet free of charge for up to 10 minutes, after your own session is over. If you'd like full sessions for your pet, keep in mind that Reiki sessions for animals tends to be shorter.
I cannot get myself or my pet to your studio due to mobility or transportation issues. Do you do home appointments or phone sessions?
Of course! For home sessions, he fee is slightly different depending on travel time and distance . Restita can treat you and/or your pets just as effectively in the comfort of your own home, just as in the studio. Restita's home session area is: Kent to Shoreline, West Seattle to Bellevue. Restita can travel further, however the fee reflect the extra distance traveled.
"Remote" or "distance" sessions are a good option for those that live outside the Puget Sound Area or have transportation or mobility issues. Reiki knows no boundaries of time or distance, and Restita can "send" Reiki directly to you. Distance sessions tend to take a shorter time (up to 30 minutes) but are just as relaxing and effective as in-office sessions. It is suggested that you have a hands-free headset or speakerphone for the session, and find a place where you can sit or lay comfortably. Restita will call you at the phone number you provide, and conduct your session in a manner similar to in-office sessions. You may talk or remain silent, you may change position at your convenience, etc. If you happen to fall asleep, that's okay, as Restita will try to gently awaken you from your nap. However, if you are so sound asleep that you don't awaken, Restita will respectfully end the call and allow you to sleep.
For distance sessions, it is helpful (but not necessary) to send an email to Restita with a picture of yourself along with the areas of concern you'd like treated. This will give Restita a "focal point of intention" and allow her to better "connect" with you. You need not send additional pictures for subsequent sessions.